Off Campus Access
Proxy Server Authentication
If you use links to research resources from OBIS, the Library website, or our list of databases you should be automatically asked to log in with either your ObieID credentials or your name and library barcode number (e.g. 29362xxxxxx, listed under your name in the Mobile ObieID app or under library barcode on a physical ObieID) to gain access. If you recently logged in to another Oberlin service using your ObieID on the same device and browser, you may be able to access the content without logging in again.
If you encounter problems accessing a database or journal, follow these steps:
- Go to OhioLink Connection Information
- Copy and paste the information about your browser and IP address into an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include the name of the database and where you were accessing it from (e.g. the library website, google, a bookmark, etc.)
- Describe or copy and paste any error messages you received while trying to access the database
- Specify if you were logging in with your ObieID or a library barcode
- If you were logging in with the library barcode option, include the barcode number that currently appears on your OCID in the message
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Use the CIT's Virtual Private Network (VPN). When you run the VPN all of your network activity is funneled through a secure server and you will be recognized as an Oberlin College user and will not be asked to log in to resources. More about the VPN.
Please visit the CIT downloads page and choose the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client appropriate for your computer. Cisco AnyConnect is also available for Apple iOS and Android devices.
Complete installation and connection instructions from CIT. If you have additional questions, contact the CIT Help Desk.
International students considering running the VPN outside of the United States should research local laws to determine whether VPN use is legal in their country of residence before using the VPN to access library resources. Any student outside the United States struggling to access resources without getting on the VPN can contact email@example.com for assistance.