Services & Amenities
Listening & Study Spaces
In addition to the research room/workstation area the Con library offers the following spaces for those using the collections:
12 networked computers
- equipped to play CDs and DVDs and to access digital collections a wide array of research resources
2 listening/viewing rooms
- (accommodating up to 4 people each)
- equipped to play DVDs, video cassettes, laser discs, reel-to-reel tapes
- not assigned; open to all at any time
- Non-audio digital files are available via Blackboard, or the instructor's preferred course content depository
- Access to files on Blackboard is restricted to students enrolled in a given course
- Streaming audio is made available for courses through Google Drive and links to Oberlin's online resources
These materials are linked through course syllabi submitted directly to Conservatory Library staff prior to the beginning of the semester.
To arrange listening for your course reserves:
- 1) Provide a course syllabus and specify particular recordings (or we will supply a links to Naxos or other streaming resources based on your suggestions). Send syallabi to Gregory Solow, Conservatory Library Circulation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2) We will return a linked document which you may add to your Blackboard (or Google Drive) course listing
- 3) Students may then click on syllabus links to listen
For assistance with streaming audio material contact Gregory Solow at email@example.com or (440) 775-5136
Tangible Materials/Regular Reserve
- books, CDs, binders, scores, videos, etc. are shelved at the Circulation Desk
- ask for items by call number
- call numbers can be found in OBIS or in the Reserve Binders at the Circulation Desk
- items circulate for 3 hours
- reserve recordings do not leave the library
- print reserves may leave the library
- print reserves may be checked out overnight if the 3-hour loan period will expire after the library has closed
- materials are due by 9am the next morning
Information for Faculty
- create lists of reserve items using reserve forms
- check OBIS for status information (indicate items you have checked out to yourself to avoid recall notices)
- library staff will retrieve the items from the library collections (personal items may also be put on reserve)
- submit forms or questions to Gregory Solow at firstname.lastname@example.org or (440) 775-5136
- late additions to Blackboard lists will be processed in 7 days
- alterations or additional drafts of course syllabi submitted for streaming audio processing will be processed in the order that they are received
The Information Desk staff in the Conservatory Library is glad to help with your reference queries. We provide information about music (printed and recorded), books and articles, brief answers to factual questions, and suggestions for sources which might help answer your questions.
Information Desk Hours
- Spring & Fall Semesters only; hours at other times varySunday - Thursday: 2:30-5:00pm, 7:30-10:00pm
- Friday & Saturday: 2:30-5:00pm
If you have questions at a time when the Information Desk is not open, ask for the Public Services Librarian at the Circulation Desk or send an email message.
Schedule a research appointment with the Public Services Librarian, Kathy Abromeit. Services include assistance with identifying, locating, and using appropriate print, digital and other resources; and assistance with finding specific books, articles, music materials, and other items.